Google Plus is here to stay. It is currently the 6th largest social network in the World according to Business Insider’s data, and certainly one of the biggest trends in social media at this point, something bloggers and business owners should get used to in 2014 and further. With a network of over 300 million followers, and Google search engine to support their endeavors, Google+ can really do a lot for absolutely any blogger who is searching for an audience.
Still, many people don’t seem to fully utilize the network’s potentials. And one of the greatest reasons is that ‘the site is confusing’. I hope you haven’t ditched Google+ because of this… since we have the tips for the Blogger Babes who are just starting, or want to boost their current engagement. But first check if you are not getting results because of these mistakes:
- Not optimizing your profile. People want to know who they connect with. Add your name, biography, an appealing image, contact info, introduce yourself and your blog in the About section, and make sure to optimize the profile with your top targeted keywords, relevant to your industry.
Connect your Google+ account with the content you create and publish on your blog through Google Authorship, and soon you’ll notice a boost in traffic thanks to your well-optimized profile.
- Not posting regularly. Only by regularly posting relevant and interesting content you’ll be able to keep current in the feeds of your Google+ followers. It’s the same with search engine optimization – fresh and quality content can get your blog higher in the results when searchers lookup queries related to what you share.
- Not setting visibility to Public. When you share content on Google+ as public it gets indexed by Google, giving your blog greater exposure in front of potential readers. Just make sure there’s a green Public button when sharing posts and updates.
- Just dumping links. Even on Twitter you must include few introductory words in your tweet if you want it to get attention. And on Google Plus, just sharing links to your latest posts and updates with no meaningful comment, a thought or explanation why the link is interesting, will never draw people’s attention or encourage interaction. Use the space to invite readers in, make them want to click through and find out more.
- Not taking advantage of the unique formatting options. Unlike other social sites, Google+ lets users format their messages, use bold (*text*) font or italic (_text_) to make questions and calls to action stand out. It’s a great opportunity to bring more attention to the “important” information in your posts, so make sure you use it.
- Just promoting your own content. It is a social network, right? You are missing the whole point of being there if you are not socializing and networking with others. If you don’t +1, comment or respond to what others share, tag and mention other brands, bloggers and followers in your posts, use hashtags (where appropriate), people will eventually lose interest, unfollow, and forget about you.
- Ignoring Google+ communities. They are probably the most effective, and at the same time the easiest way to increase your visibility on Google+ and reach out to more people interested in your topics. There are communities for absolutely everything – just search and join the ones that are relevant to your interests and blog’s products and services, and make sure you respect the community’s posting rules instead of just spamming them with self-promotion.
- Google+ is not Facebook. Every social website is different. You can’t treat Facebook same as Twitter, and you can’t approach Google Plus the same way you do Facebook. The audience here wants rich posts with detailed commentary on the content. Give them something to pique their interest, and invite your followers to share their thoughts in the comments.
- Not adding Google Plus widgets and plugins to your blog. If you want to truly expand your influence on the social site and reach out to more people you need to connect your Google+ Page with your blog too. Readers want to find and join your circles fast and easy. You can add The Google+ plugin, Easy Google+ Widget, or other badges, and be more user-friendly.
Any of the errors above seem familiar? Next time try differently. And tell us if you noticed the change in your results.