Having a busy life like most bloggers do often means not enough sleeping and tight stressful schedules, when it gets really difficult to stay focused and keep yourself motivated to finish what you’ve planned.
Considering the (online) environment bloggers work in, in their homes or at work, it’s very, very easy to lose focus while working. We are surrounded with all sorts of distractions, while researching post topics, managing our social media, taking care of optimization and the success of our blogs…, and then we procrastinate until there’s no more time to do so. Here’s how to keep focus on the task at hand when times get tough:
- Do Not cut on rest! Good healthy rest is essential for your body. When you’re well rested your brain functions are improved and you’re able to concentrate better and longer. Rest is also good for your eyes, as well as these exercises that boost the strength and coordination of your eye muscles.
- Have a plan of what needs to be done. Planning is critical to keep your mind focused and on track with every separate task that needs to be finished around your blog.
- Healthy diet and regular exercise can do wonders for your focus. Processed foods do not provide any nutritional value for our bodies, so make sure to eat healthy and rich-in-nutrition food as much as you can. Just like regular exercise, it will energize your body, make you feel stronger and healthier, and help you concentrate a lot better on everything that you do, including blogging.
- Take breaks when working on longer projects. We get tired after a while, sitting in the same position and doing the same things; – our body and mind, so the mind starts to wander. Frequent breaks, every hour or so, to just stretch yourself, walk around or relax, will stimulate your blood flow and boost your brain and focus when you start working again.
- Be careful with social media. It can draw you in and waste all of your day if you let it. It’s best to set a time in the day when you do this and plan what you’ll do and how long will it take you, so you can focus on the work you are actually doing. Check these tools to stay productive on social media.
Being motivated is a lot more than just staying focused. If you’re not motivated, it’s much more difficult to finish what you’re doing. Think of what drives you toward blogging, what is it that you love about your niche, what incentives do you have to complete your everyday tasks? Here’s how to stay productive and motivated while blogging:
- Write down the reasons why you want to accomplish your goal(s). Maybe you’ll get an increase in your Twitter following, get a new advertiser on your blog, or receive a great commission from your boss. Whatever the reason, list it, – it keeps you motivated to work toward something.
- Give yourself a reward. It’s easier to stay motivated when you have something to look forward to. Reward yourself with what’s important to you but you’ve been putting away, like a dinner with your dear, quality time with your kids, or the new pair of shoes you’ve been eyeing for some time.
- Look for the fun in your work. Once in a while, when you have to do a project you don’t really enjoy, try to find something about it that you like, that’s fun to you, and go with it. It will boost your motivation to get to your goals.
- Track and monitor your progress. Milestones keep you focused and motivated the entire time, so be sure to note the progress you have achieved.
Do you have a problem staying focused and motivated? What do you do to get yourself back on track? What keeps you motivated? Share your thoughts in the comments.