In the fashion world, New York Fashion Week is one of the most sought out events to go to every year.
After all, who on Earth worth their Louboutins would not want to see the latest and greatest upcoming trends you know the stars want to be seen in. But as a blogger, just how important is it to be part of the most chaotic scene the fashion industry has come to know? While I am a die-hard fashion enthusiast, here are 5 reasons why you should not got to NY Fashion Week.
1. No one covers NYFW better than hot fashion publications like Vogue and Marie Claire. Let’s face it, unless you are Bryanboy who will have front row seats to everything and have the time and energy to stop everything for a week, you will not be able to take detailed notes on what’s hot and what’s not. You may not even get to capture a good photo to back up your opinion on the trends.
2. Almost all NYFW fashion shows is captured on video and streamed live. If you really want to focus on the clothes and accessories by great designers, you will be able to have a better view than 95% of those who attend the event, and you don’t have to feel pressured to dress up for the occasion.
3. New York is more than just about fashion. Personally, going to New York just to cover fashion week is over rated. There are too many sites to see, places to visit and shows to watch. Do you really want to burn yourself out by trying to cover the latest trends, the biggest parties and the major social scenes? It’s New York! Unless you’ve lived there all your life and have seen everything there is to see, don’t waste your time just for fashion week.
4. Most blog readers are not interested in personal NYFW experiences. Sure, people who have never been to a NYC Fashion Week event might ask what it was like, but no one really cares about the play-by-play. They just want to know the highlights and useful things that might help them make sure that they follow the trends and styles that are in.
5. Did I mention I don’t need to be pressured to dress up for NYFW? Don’t get me wrong, I love being able to dress to impress, but most bloggers are usually more “normal.” To be surrounded by fashion’s biggest names, bodies and faces, attending a fashion week event in just a simple dress can become quite intimidating. I can save my high end outfits on other occasions like my cousin’s wedding.
Perhaps I seem a little cynical about NYFW, but on a practical stand point, having to fly to New York, book a hotel, and have to dine outside is not something most bloggers can do without risking precious time and money. However, I do believe that if you have the means to go to Fashion Week and want to really experience its grandeur, then you should go for it! But, if it is just for the sole purpose of blogging about the event and what’s new this season, there is no need to go to New York Fashion Week.