Heidi and Ponn’s Favorite Blogging Tools and Resources
Every professional has her “tool kit” of favorite tools–even bloggers! Here are some of Heidi and Ponn’s favorite tools and resources that we’re happy to recommend to you.
How to read this list:
- We used or currently are using all the below tools. Our top preferences are noted by what we’re currently using.
- When we specify “Blogger Babes”, it means both Ponn and Heidi uses it.
- For easy reference, everything is in alphabetical order
We do not recommend GoDaddy for many reasons, and Registrar is very expensive (although we’ve used them before).
Email Autoresponders and Management Systems
- AWeber – Used on Ponn’s blogs.
- Mad Mimi
- Mail Chimp – Used by Blogger Babes and on Heidi’s blogs.
- Constant Contact
Forms, Surveys, Contact, etc.
- Formidable Pro – Used by Blogger Babes for every blogger application, a little investment in your blogging business so you don’t use generic amateur google forms.
- Gravity Forms
- PicMonkey – A blogger’s must-have! Basic, easy and amateur.
- GIMP – The next scale up for more custom graphics. It’s like a free less robust version of Photoshop
- Adobe Photoshop – A graphic artist’s must-have tool. We highly recommended getting the Creative Cloud subscription.
Premium Stock Photo Sites
- Dollar Photo Club – Can’t blog without it! Top recommendation of all.
- Image Monthly
Free stock photo sites
Premium WordPress Templates
- Elegant themes – If you can’t afford the below themes, Ponn used a couple Elegant themes many years ago. They are cheaper so they are less robust than the below options, however; much better than any free themes available online.
- Genesis Framework – Used by Blogger Babes, some of Heidi’s, and all of Ponn’s blogs – Ponn owns lifetime developer license (yes–it’s that great!)
- StudioPress themes (on Genesis Framework) – Used by Blogger Babes, some of Heidi’s, and all of Ponn’s blogs. Ponn owns lifetime developer licenses (can’t blog without it!)
- Thesis by DIYThemes – A popular theme Ponn used many years ago, and still has a developer’s license just in case.
- Themedy themes (on Genesis Framework) – Ponn owns lifetime developer licenses and uses them for clients. Simple and clean themes, not as much customization as Genesis + StudioPress.
Shopping Carts and Membership sites
- 247-Host – Some of Heidi’s (VPS) and some of Ponn’s (reseller account)
- Bluehost – highly reputable and economical
- Mom Webs – Blogger Babes and The Ambitionista (dedicated server) – Ponn had a reseller account for more than 3-dozen websites for 7 years, and will be returning in 2016.