We can’t stress to you enough that although there are hundreds of successful blogs on the Internet, there are hundreds more have failed. You must remember that running a blog is just like running any other business website. Unless you are willing to put in consistent time and treat your blog as a business, you won’t be blogging for long.
This doesn’t mean that bloggers who failed were not serious about blogging. Most of the time, new bloggers aren’t prepared for the work that goes into creating a successful blog. Just building the blog doesn’t mean that people will necessarily come to you. You must pursue the audience and give them a reason to read what you have to say.
Even as pro bloggers, Heidi and I are not immune to forgetting to execute all the extras to get our content read. In fact, we have assistants who help us achieve all the tips that are discussed below because we know that if we fail in these steps, our traffic will drop.
6 Steps to Build Traffic to Your Blog Today
1. Create Unique Fresh Content – Nobody wants to keep returning to a favorite blog and find that it hasn’t been recently updated. At the very minimum, update your blog content at the very twice a week. However, it’s best to post fresh content daily if you can. We recommend setting aside a block of time to write several posts ahead of time and schedule them for future posting.
At Blogger Babes, we’re starting the New Year right by planning our editorial calendar to have a minimum of three articles a week (to start), so our readers can expect a new post every Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday, starting Today! So, welcome.
As a matter of fact, I’m actually writing three posts today and handing them over to our editor to go over them. She will then delegate it to our assistant to post in the future. I love blocking time just to write, and I think you should give it a try too. Grab your laptop and head to Starbucks if you need to, but make that time to write.
2. Utilize SEO Marketing Tactics – Whatever you’re writing about, be sure to use relevant keywords. But don’t stuff your articles with keywords or phrases that make it seem unnatural or forced. And don’t forget to place your keywords in your titles and subheaders like I did above.
Two of the best SEO WordPress plugins that we’ve found are: All in One SEO Pack which I’ve been using since 2004. I just love it though recently I’ve been getting really hooked on the Yoast SEO plugin. Just choose one, to have both on one blog is overkill, and I don’t see a difference in results on the blogs that have one plugin over the other.
It’s all preference, so give them both a try!
3. Become Active in Networking Forums and Groups – As a blogger, you are a budding entrepreneur. Right now you are marketing yourself to find traffic to ultimately profit from your efforts. Become a member of business forums, work at home forums and others to meet new people and share ideas within your niche. You can add a link to your blog in the signature line so others can find you.
When we were rebranding in October 2014, I was extremely active in three forums I’ve been a long time member of. I’m happy to say the vast majority of our new subscribers came from my colleagues in those forums.
4. Be Social in Social Media – Join Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, LinkedIn and others to start making connections. You can join groups of like-minded people who are also bloggers or entrepreneurs in your chosen niche.
We’re determined to be more active and engage more with our members in all of our social media sites for 2015, so be sure to follow us at
Be sure to tweet, or tag us and say ‘hi’ so we are sure to follow you back!
5. In Person Networking – Since I’m new to the gang, I’ve been networking like crazy both in forums but also in person. Conversations about new adventures and business ventures always pop up in casual conversations with family, friends and even strangers. So, don’t miss out in the opportunity to share your online life with your offline pals!
Rather than the old-school business cards, I just use my smartphone and simply ring their mobile number on the spot, and that will create a new contact right there and then.
My teenaged daughter absolutely loves the Bump app and I do too. It’s really convenient, but not many oldies like me have that app handy. I really hope to change that very soon and be as up to date as I can.
Do you have the Bump app? Or, do you have a favorite easy-contact app you love and want to share? Please let me know below!
6. Visit other blogs – It’s always best to show your appreciation to those who visit you by taking the time to visit and post thoughtful comments on their blogs as well. It’s kind, friendly and just plain ‘ol great online networking etiquette. Visiting other blogs shows others that you are not just out to advertise your blog alone and that you care about your readers and other bloggers. Remember that you will get to add your blog link in their comment area too, so there’s the added SEO benefit!
Using any of these strategies will start the traffic moving in your direction. It will take time with consistency you will build the audience that you want.
Have a traffic building tip you want to share? We’d love to hear them!